Vibrant shopping areas keep money in the neighborhood while providing important goods and services to residents. LISC invests in neighborhood economic development strategies that support local jobs and entrepreneurship. LISC works with community partners to build commercial corridor staff capacity, improve infrastructure and create activities that attract shoppers. It also provides financing for commercial real estate developments and to start or expand Special Service Areas.
Learn more about the Business District Leadership program.
View the 2016 BDL Program Calendar.
Bios of 2016 BDL participants.
For more information on LISC Chicago’s economic development work, contact Dionne Baux.
1–25 of 55 items | Next »
Neighborhood Group, CPD Awarded for Making Uptown's Argyle Street Pedestrian Friendly
- Paolo Cisneros, Feb 2, 2017
- The Night Market, a collaboration between Uptown United and the 20th District of the Chicago Police Department, has brought new life to Uptown's Argyle Street.
Englewood Quality-of-Life Business Competition Announces Winners
- Annie Grossinger, Jan 11, 2017
- Englewood companies vie for recognition - and cash - in the Englewood Quality-of-Life Business Competition.
Lending a Hand
- Carl Vogel, Dec 6, 2016
- It’s clearer than ever how loans from LISC play a critical role in redeveloping communities across the city.
Streets Cleaned, Vets Honored in Day of Service
- Annie Grossinger, Dec 1, 2016
- On Veterans Day, volunteers rolled up their sleeves to clean vacant lots in Auburn Gresham.
This IS Englewood
- Gordon Walek, Oct 7, 2016
- New Whole Foods grocery a welcome tipping point for Englewood.
Business District Leadership Program Graduates New Cohort
- Annie Grossinger, Sep 28, 2016
- A new Business District Leadership class hits the streets.
Business District Leadership Program Begins Second Class with 20 New Neighborhood Participants
- Annie Grossinger, Mar 30, 2016
- After a successful first year, the Business District Leadership program will support a second group of nonprofit and public sector leaders working within neighborhood business districts.
Applications For Next Business District Leadership Program Class Extended Through Jan. 2, 2016
- Dec 14, 2015
- The deadline for applying to the next class of LISC Chicago's Business District Leadership program has been extended to January 2, 2016.
BDL Grads Put Theories to Test
- Gordon Walek, Nov 20, 2015
- BDL grads display "neighborhood change" projects and reflect on their experiences together. Applications for the next leadership class are being accepted through December 11.
New Class of LISC AmeriCorps Service Begins
- Annie Grossinger, Nov 17, 2015
- The 21st class of LISC AmeriCorps members has begun working with Financial Opportunity Centers (FOC) across Chicago.
Booming Bronzeville: QCDC Helped Create a “Good Problem” and Works on Even Better Solutions.
- John McCarron, Oct 1, 2015
- There's a point when community-based developers shift from chasing any kind of investment to cultivating those that best meet the needs of local residents. That's happening in Bronzeville now.
Inaugural Class of Business District Leaders Graduates
- Gordon Walek, Aug 20, 2015
- The first commercial district managers to complete LISC Chicago’s Business District Leadership (BDL) program recently graduated.
93% off! LISC Hopes Deep Divvy Discount Leads to Much More
- John McCarron, Jul 16, 2015
- Through Chicago’s new Divvy for Everyone (D4E) program, eligible riders can join Divvy for just $5 by signing up at one of five neighborhood Financial Opportunity Centers.
Dutch Treat: Royals Salute Pullman’s Past and Future
- John McCarron, Jul 14, 2015
- Pullman, the historic Far South Side neighborhood that once produced railway sleeping cars, has reinvented itself as a place to host new manufacturers such as Method soap.
Major Milestone: $40 Million for Chicago Community Development
- Gordon Walek, Jun 29, 2015
- LISC Chicago completes $40 million fundraising goal. Celebration ensues.
When Big Plans Have Big Impact
- John McCarron, May 26, 2015
- As the private sector soars and the public sector shrinks, flexibility and nimbleness rule the day for neighborhood developers.
Business District Managers Hit Streets
- Gordon Walek, Apr 22, 2015
- LISC Chicago's Business District Leadership program participants recently hit the streets in Wicker Park to see what consititutes a successful commercial corridor.
Near North Has a Plan of Its Own, Thank You
- John McCarron, Mar 26, 2015
- Plans issued from on-high have shaped, and mis-shaped, Chicago’s Near North neighborhood for over a half century. But now there’s a new plan, one guided by folks who actually live there.
Listen Up! Youth Speaks at CNDA on Feb. 17
- John McCarron, Jan 20, 2015
- The 21st Annual Chicago Neighborhoods Award Ceremony is February 17, 2015 at the Chicago Hilton & Towers, 720 S. Michigan Ave.
LISC Chicago Business District Leadership Program
- Nov 17, 2014
- BLD brings together nonprofit and public sector leaders for training, education and capacity building for the growing number of organizations that serve business districts throughout Chicago.
At City Club, Vasquez Calls for ‘New Vision’
- Carl Vogel, Oct 24, 2014
- In an October 16 address to a sold-out crowd, LISC Chicago’s executive director talked about the need for “civic infrastructure” to build stronger neighborhoods.
Businesses Reap Dividends of 'Special' Tax Zone
- Paolo Cisneros, Sep 16, 2014
- Around the city, LISC is helping communities establish and run Special Service Areas to cover the costs of security, beautification and special events for local small businesses.
Trainings Help Business Owners Up Their Game
- Carl Vogel, Aug 11, 2014
- Graduates of an entrepreneurship program in Pilsen learn from experts and put lessons to work in their stores, restaurants and other local businesses.
10 Earn Awards at 20th Anniversary CNDA
- Feb 21, 2014
- The Chicago Neighborhood Development Awards celebrate excellent architecture, real estate development, and personal achievement. Here are the 2014 winners.
CNDA at 20: Much More Than Buildings
- John McCarron, Feb 13, 2014
- Energy and inspiration flow from annual awards ceremony that draws from across Chicago’s community development world.
1–25 of 55 items | Next »
Stay up to date with the the latest news and events related to LISC Chicago.
Find us on Facebook »