To promote healthier lifestyles and reverse health disparities, LISC supports fitness and nutrition programs, health education and a grassroots campaign to connect residents to the Illinois health insurance exchange.
For more information on LISC's health initiatives, contact Dominique Williams.
1–25 of 34 items | Next »
Ten Years of Hoops in the Hood: An Oral History
- Carl Vogel, Jul 22, 2016
- Hoops in the Hood - Participants sound off about the impact of a decade of neighborhood basketball and organizing.
Health, Community Development Go Hand-in-Hand
- Paolo Cisneros, Apr 26, 2016
- Neighborhood groups are expanding their conception of community development to include an emphasis on health. LISC is helping to facilitate this shift.
Plans Aim to Make Neighborhoods Healthy
- Carl Vogel, Aug 6, 2015
- Health care providers, residents and community-based organizations teamed up to rethink how to improve health and wellness in Chicago Lawn, Little Village and South Chicago.
As Deadline Looms, ACA Enrollments Pick Up
- Patrick Barry, Mar 24, 2014
- Neighborhood “navigators” are out in force this week as many Americans face a March 31 deadline for enrollment in new health insurance programs under the Affordable Care Act.
How Elev8 Sparked a School-Health Revolution
- Maureen Kelleher, Feb 5, 2014
- At Perspectives-Calumet Middle Academy in the Auburn Gresham neighborhood, the health center, which was built through a partnership with Elev8 Chicago, is thriving. Since May 2008, the health center…
Affordable Care Act Enrollment: a Struggle but Worth It
- Gordon Walek, Jan 15, 2014
- Chicagoans enrolling for medical insurance through the Affordable Care Act have benefitted from the services of LISC Chicago's Healthy Communities Campaign, which is working with 21 neighborhood…
Sprinting to beat key deadline
- Peter Frost, Chicago Tribune, Dec 20, 2013
- Community groups, health insurers rush to sign up consumers.
Neighborhoods Apply 'Civic Tech' for Local Gains
- Patrick Barry, Dec 12, 2013
- Tech efforts are popping up all across LISC’s neighborhood network as community groups take small but important steps into the high-tech world.
Outreach Army Reaches 9,300 with Health Care Info
- Dec 9, 2013
- Trained and certified outreach and enrollment specialists, called navigators, have been spreading the word in 24 neighborhoods as part of LISC's Healthy Communities Campaign.
Local Wisdom Key to LISC’s ACA Outreach
- John McCarron, Oct 15, 2013
- There's no precedent for the nationwide effort to enroll millions of uninsured Americans under the Affordable Care Act (ACA). Here's how LISC and its partners are making it happen.
ID ’em. Inform ’em. Insure ’em.
- John McCarron, Sep 20, 2013
- LISC Chicago uses its deep neighborhood network to locate, educate and enroll the city’s uninsured in “ObamaCare.”
Bikes Deliver as Vehicle for Community Development
- John McCarron, Jul 30, 2013
- Away from the lakefront, bikes are vehicles for skills-building and self confidence. Transportation, too.
Health Disparities in Chicago: A Call to Action
- Jun 11, 2013
- Leaders from 11 New Communities Program (NCP) organizations and four partner agencies gathered at the LISC Chicago offices in early June for a frank conversation about health disparities in Chicago.
The Medium is the Message: Puppets Show Kids How To Eat Healthy
- Gordon Walek, Jun 11, 2013
- Humboldt Park kids get the skinny of good eatin' from La Casa Norte's puppet team.
Neighborhood Network Eyes Health Insurance Push
- Patrick Barry, Apr 17, 2013
- LISC Chicago’s Neighborhood Network is gearing up for a tidal wave of change around health care as implementation begins this year on the Affordable Care Act.
Panel Traces Path from Childhood Trauma to Youth Violence
- Ed Finkel, Apr 2, 2013
- Evidence continues to grow that trauma like abuse, neglect and witnessing violence at an early age rewires children’s brains and thus adversely affects their mental health going forward.
Fired Up, Ready to Go: LISC Chicago’s Neighborhood Network
- John McCarron, Mar 20, 2013
- In the complex business of urban community development, no vehicle matches the leverage and impact of every dollar invested quite like LISC Chicago.
CNDA 2013: Getting Engaged, Healthy and Strong
- John McCarron, Feb 15, 2013
- The 19th annual Chicago Neighborhood Development Awards honored and highlighted a variety of projects throughout the city.
A Safe Place to Play
- Gordon Walek, Jan 28, 2013
- Health and fitness are significant issues in neighborhoods throughout the city, rich and poor alike. In Pilsen, Little Village, Brighton Park, Woodlawn, Chicago Lawn and South Chicago, neighborhood…
Planting Seeds Toward a 'Healthy Chicago'
- John McCarron, Dec 5, 2012
- From gang crime to garden compost, Chicago Health Commissioner Bechara Choucair, M.D., is all ears as he meets with a series of LISC Chicago New Communities leaders.
New South Side Plan: From Vacant Land to “Productive Landscapes”
- John McCarron, Nov 29, 2012
- Citizens, planners across eight communities envision community gardens, "pocket" parks, 30-block hiking trail and other features in neighborhoods with vacant land and few signs of major development.
Altgeld Park, Little Village Gain New Green Fields
- Gordon Walek, Oct 26, 2012
- Funders, neighborhood partners work to turn grass and dirt playlots into football, soccer field.
A Growthful Enterprise on Perry Street
- Ed Finkel, Oct 12, 2012
- The Perry Street farm in Washington Park will result in locally grown fresh produce and jobs for residents.
For An Instant, City Streets Become Neighborhood Playgrounds
- Gordon Walek, Oct 4, 2012
- PlayStreets periodically closes off streets in Pilsen, Little Village, Brighton Park, Woodlawn, Chicago Lawn and South Chicago to provide safe, supervised space with organized sports, fitness and…
School Garden Provides Food for Thought
- Elizabeth Duffrin, Sep 13, 2012
- The Junior Green Youth Farm, which just completed its second summer at Reavis Elementary, is part youth-development camp and part real-life job
1–25 of 34 items | Next »
Stay up to date with the the latest news and events related to LISC Chicago.
Find us on Facebook »