LISC Chicago invests strategically throughout the metro area to foster healthier communities.
Quality, diverse housing choices are critical to community and household stability. LISC helped partners aggressively respond to the foreclosure crisis to keep homeowners and renters in their homes, and to reoccupy vacant buildings.
The Chicago office provides support for the preservation and development of affordable housing in a variety of ways, including predevelopment, bridge, and construction loans for affordable rental housing, and project initiation loans to support early-on costs for feasibility and predevelopment for residential housing.
For more information about LISC's housing-related work, contact Barb Beck, director of financial services and underwriting, or Jake Ament, program officer.
1–25 of 45 items | Next »
Lending a Hand
- Carl Vogel, Dec 6, 2016
- It’s clearer than ever how loans from LISC play a critical role in redeveloping communities across the city.
Reclaiming Southwest Chicago
- Paolo Cisneros, Sep 7, 2016
- Chicago Lawn, ravaged by foreclosures during the economic downturn, is now seeing the benefits of a shrewd strategy to return abandoned homes to productive use.
Hit the Trail? Neighbors Aim to Stay Near 'The 606'
- John McCarron, Oct 22, 2015
- Everybody loves The 606. But conversion of the old rail track into a popular walking/cycling path is having unintended consequences for some long-time residents.
Coalitions (quietly) Score Pair of Housing Wins
- John McCarron, May 6, 2015
- The effort to save and supplement Chicago’s endangered supply of affordable housing took a couple of giant steps forward this past winter.
Near North Has a Plan of Its Own, Thank You
- John McCarron, Mar 26, 2015
- Plans issued from on-high have shaped, and mis-shaped, Chicago’s Near North neighborhood for over a half century. But now there’s a new plan, one guided by folks who actually live there.
Old Pullman Wins at CNDA … As Do Young Leaders
- John McCarron, Feb 17, 2015
- From a fast-unfolding plan to redevelop the historic Pullman District to the rehab of a run-down SRO hotel on the North, the 2015 Chicago Neighborhood Development Awards had the city covered.
Listen Up! Youth Speaks at CNDA on Feb. 17
- John McCarron, Jan 20, 2015
- The 21st Annual Chicago Neighborhoods Award Ceremony is February 17, 2015 at the Chicago Hilton & Towers, 720 S. Michigan Ave.
Hundreds Help Reclaim Southwest Side Housing
- John McCarron, Oct 30, 2014
- A rally featuring Gov. Quinn celebrates the first building in a program to buy, rehab and restore foreclosures on the Southwest Side.
Shops & Lofts Lesson: Never Give Up
- John McCarron, Oct 16, 2014
- Mixed-use miracle at 47th & Cottage re-energizes Bronzeville and reaffirms the power of perseverance.
Blight ‘Squashed’ on Cottage Grove by Woodlawn Park Partnership
- John McCarron, Sep 8, 2014
- A groundbreaking for senior housing and a squash facility signals the next stage of a Woodlawn redevelopment fueled by POAH, LISC and their partners.
Community Leaders Want Lakeside Mega-plan to Benefit All of South Chicago
- John McCarron, Aug 18, 2014
- With the super-sized USX/McCaffery project ready to launch on empty steel site, local groups push for neighborhood input on jobs and housing.
Applications Open for 21st Annual Chicago Neighborhood Development Awards
- Jul 31, 2014
- Awards recognize excellence in community development and architectural achievements in Chicago’s neighborhoods.
WINGS Shelter Coming to Southwest Side
- Paolo Cisneros, Jun 25, 2014
- Survivors of domestic violence on the city’s Southwest Side will soon have somewhere to turn for emergency housing and comprehensive social services.
Ribbon Cutting for ‘Little Heaven’ on Armitage
- John McCarron, May 2, 2014
- Community leaders and public officials celebrated the official opening of Zapata Apartments on April 24.
TRP Plans 45 Apartments at 17th and Damen
- Paolo Cisneros, May 1, 2014
- The Resurrection Project will build 45 units of affordable family housing on a former silo yard near Orozco Community Academy. The development will be named Casa Querétaro.
Planned and Delivered: Long March to Zapata Apts.
- John McCarron, Apr 17, 2014
- After seven years and many challenges, partners Bickerdike and Logan Square Neighborhood Assn. celebrate 61 new apartments along Armitage Avenue.
Chicago Southwest Rehabs … One Family at a Time
- John McCarron, Apr 3, 2014
- Chicago Lawn, hit hard by the foreclosure crisis, is showing clear signs of recovery, thanks to the work of neighborhood organizations, private developers, public investment, and residents whose…
10 Earn Awards at 20th Anniversary CNDA
- Feb 21, 2014
- The Chicago Neighborhood Development Awards celebrate excellent architecture, real estate development, and personal achievement. Here are the 2014 winners.
CNDA at 20: Much More Than Buildings
- John McCarron, Feb 13, 2014
- Energy and inspiration flow from annual awards ceremony that draws from across Chicago’s community development world.
POAH opens The Grant at Woodlawn Park
- Nov 25, 2013
- New 33-unit, mixed-income rental apartment building is the second phase of the Woodlawn Park redevelopment.
Bickerdike, Police Win National Safety Award
- Nov 8, 2013
- MetLife Foundation honors alliance to reduce crime and revitalize Humboldt Park.
'Suite' Deal Helps Stabilize Wheelworks
- John McCarron, Oct 22, 2013
- Innovative relocation strategy and timely loan from LISC help save affordable housing in historic Pullman
Volunteers Dig In on NeighborWorks Day
- John McCarron, Jun 18, 2013
- A little rain didn’t stop about 500 volunteers from painting, planting and mowing on Saturday, June 1, when several of LISC Chicago’s local partners pitched in at the annual NeighborWorks…
LISC Partners Ready for NeighborWorks Day
- John McCarron, May 29, 2013
- There’ll be lots of painting, raking and mowing on Saturday, June 1, when several of LISC Chicago’s local partners turn out for the annual NeighborWorks Day.
Quad at 10, Looking Forward and Back
- Gordon Walek, May 14, 2013
- Quad Communities Development Corporation (QCDC), which has played a major role reshaping the Mid South Side, is celebrating its 10 anniversary this week.
1–25 of 45 items | Next »
Stay up to date with the the latest news and events related to LISC Chicago.
Find us on Facebook »