A neighborhood lacking digital literacy is at a competitive disadvantage. LISC’s civic tech programs help residents apply for jobs online, learn about government data, and use online tools to improve their lives. LISC’s Smart Communities digital inclusion campaign led to a 15 percent increase in internet usage in five neighborhoods.
For more information about LISC's civic tech initiatives, contact Taryn Roch.
Civic Tech Done Right – Community Driven, Community Responsive, Community Friendly
- Jan 15, 2016
- How community developers and software creators work together to make neighborhoods better and stronger.
AmeriCorps Provides Pipeline of Talent, Energy
- Gordon Walek, Jan 6, 2015
- Members learn about community development while working with middle-school students, teaching digital skills or playing sports.
Big Data + Large Lots = Fast Start for City Program
- John McCarron, Jul 8, 2014
- Innovative website and partnership with Chicago Public Libraries help City of Chicago extend $1 sale of vacant lots to East Garfield Park
Portals Project: Add More Community Voices
- Carl Vogel, Apr 10, 2014
- A new curriculum is helping residents in several neighborhoods learn the ropes of writing, editing and posting stories on web portals that were designed through LISC Chicago's Smart Communities…
Website Helps Residents Buy $1 Vacant Lots
- Patrick Barry, Apr 4, 2014
- When the city announced a new program to sell vacant lots for $1, Teamwork Englewood and Chicago's civic tech partners responded with a website to make it easier to apply.
LISC Expands Toolbox for Digital Learning
- Patrick Barry, Jan 31, 2014
- More than $1.1 million invested by LISC for expanded trainings and digital resources, helping neighborhoods connect to portals, EveryBlock, open data and more.
Without Neighborhood Trust, Tech Won’t Work
- John McCarron, Dec 23, 2013
- At a recent Urban Forum on technology and resilience, LISC’s executive director cautioned that “shiny new toys” are no substitute for trusted relationships.
Neighborhoods Apply 'Civic Tech' for Local Gains
- Patrick Barry, Dec 12, 2013
- Tech efforts are popping up all across LISC’s neighborhood network as community groups take small but important steps into the high-tech world.
For Englewood 'Coders,' a Transformative Summer
- Patrick Barry, Sep 16, 2013
- After 10 weeks of intensive summer learning, teen "coders" showed their stuff to appreciative parents, friends and members of Chicago's tech community. And that's just the beginning as a new round of…
Knight Foundation Funds 'Bilingual Bridges' for Open Gov
- Patrick Barry, Jun 24, 2013
- The Knight Foundation awarded a grant to LISC Chicago to support resident engagement in Pilsen and Englewood that will better connect neighborhoods to Chicago's open gov and civic hacking communities.
Crowdfunding for Community Development? Yes Indeed
- Patrick Barry, Apr 29, 2013
- World Business Chicago is excited about the potential of the Kickstarter website to “catalyze reinvestment, grow small businesses and spur employment growth.”
Fired Up, Ready to Go: LISC Chicago’s Neighborhood Network
- John McCarron, Mar 20, 2013
- In the complex business of urban community development, no vehicle matches the leverage and impact of every dollar invested quite like LISC Chicago.
Residents, Businesses Get Scoop on Community Web Portals
- Grady Chambers, Jun 7, 2012
- Through its Smart Communities Program, LISC Chicago has helped to establish five neighborhood portal websites, which enable neighborhood businesses, organizations and residents to start spreadin' the…
Near North Portal Aims to coNNect
- John McCarron, May 29, 2012
- "Common space in cyberspace" went live in mid-April
As It Turns 18, CNDA Explores Big Ideas
- Ed Finkel, Mar 4, 2012
- Panelists bring their “big ideas” and talk about how Chicago needs to adapt for a new century
New Crew of Techies Graduates in Pilsen
- Carl Vogel, May 26, 2011
- Fifteen mothers of Cooper Elementary students and five other Pilsen residents received certificates and a gift flash drive holder at the ceremony for Civic 2.0, which teaches team how to use the…
Smart Communities Teams Host D.C. Delegation
- Patrick Barry, Mar 14, 2011
- Two crowded rooms and plenty of stories provided a vivid picture of Chicago’s Smart Communities Program for a Washington, D.C., delegation checking up on the federally funded effort.
Auburn Gresham is a SMART Community
- Ernest Sanders, Dec 14, 2010
- The Greater Auburn-Gresham Development Corporation (GADC) launched its Smart Communities Initiative with a digital and red carpet theme.
Digital Summer Program Graduates First Class
- Carl Vogel, Oct 6, 2010
- DYSJ provided an opportunity for youth in the five Chicago Smart Communities to obtain work experience through internship opportunities at businesses, governmental agencies and not-for-profit…
Digital, Funding Programs Boost Neighborhoods
- Sep 15, 2010
- LISC/Chicago’s expertise in neighborhood redevelopment was acknowledged this summer by the award of two significant federal grants that will help community residents stay afloat in the…
Stay up to date with the the latest news and events related to LISC Chicago.
Find us on Facebook »