Back of the Yards
Back of the Yards, in the New City community area, extends from 39th to 55th Streets between Halsted and the railroad tracks along Leavitt Street, just south and west of the former Union Stock Yard. For years the neighborhood was sustained by the thousands of meatpacking and railroad jobs that the livestock industry supported. But since most of the meat packing plants had closed by the late 1960s, the community has struggled with employment, housing and all the other issues resultiing from the loss of jobs.
During that time, the Back of the Yards Neighborhood Council, a coalition of dozens of neighborhood and parish groups, became Saul Alinsky's model for community organizing throughout the country as it galvanized a broader community identity among the diverse ethnic groups and addressed an array of community problems. BYNC is the lead agency in Back of the Yards. Download the 2014 Back of the Yards quality-of-life plan.
In recent years, the site of the old stockyards has been transformed into a new industrial park, bringing back some of the jobs that had disappeared earlier.
Back of the Yards Community Area
||down 5% from 2999
|Racial/ethnic makeup (2010)
||51% Latino, 28% African American, 17% white
|Total occupied units (2010)
||down 6% from 2000
|Owned housing units (2010)
||up 6% from 2000
|Median household income (2010)
|| up 19% from 2000
|Percentage above $50,000 (2010)
|| 15% above $75,000
Batter Up! Better Fields = Better Ball
- Gordon Walek, May 6, 2016
- The Cubs Charities Diamond Project is improving community baseball fields throughout the city. And making plenty of kids happy.
Cubs Charities Diamond Project a Home Run for Neighborhood Baseball
- John McCarron, Oct 6, 2014
- Community groups from around the city are getting funding and training to improve their youth baseball facilities, thanks to the Cubs and LISC.
Businesses Reap Dividends of 'Special' Tax Zone
- Paolo Cisneros, Sep 16, 2014
- Around the city, LISC is helping communities establish and run Special Service Areas to cover the costs of security, beautification and special events for local small businesses.
Chicago Southwest Rehabs … One Family at a Time
- John McCarron, Apr 3, 2014
- Chicago Lawn, hit hard by the foreclosure crisis, is showing clear signs of recovery, thanks to the work of neighborhood organizations, private developers, public investment, and residents whose…
Neighborhoods Apply 'Civic Tech' for Local Gains
- Patrick Barry, Dec 12, 2013
- Tech efforts are popping up all across LISC’s neighborhood network as community groups take small but important steps into the high-tech world.
Volunteers Dig In on NeighborWorks Day
- John McCarron, Jun 18, 2013
- A little rain didn’t stop about 500 volunteers from painting, planting and mowing on Saturday, June 1, when several of LISC Chicago’s local partners pitched in at the annual NeighborWorks…
Note to Small Biz: Loans Are Available
- Elizabeth Duffrin, Jun 6, 2013
- There’s good news for Mom and Pop corner stores, auto repair shops and your neighborhood taqueria. More loan options are available for small businesses than most realize.
LISC Partners Ready for NeighborWorks Day
- John McCarron, May 29, 2013
- There’ll be lots of painting, raking and mowing on Saturday, June 1, when several of LISC Chicago’s local partners turn out for the annual NeighborWorks Day.
Groupon, Community Developers, Seek Common Ground
- Grady Chambers, Aug 15, 2012
- Groupon, the online daily deal purveyor, is itching to expand its relationship with businesses throughout Chicago. At LISC Chicago, Groupon representatives recently met with economic development…
Neighborhood Leaders Hone Communications, Business Skills
- Grady Chambers, Apr 2, 2012
- Running a small business is tough enough when economic times are good. When they’re bad, as in recent years, they’re exponentially harder. But help’s on the way. Earlier this…
Hundreds Hit the Courts for Hoops in the Hood
- Sep 15, 2010
- The 2010 Hoops in the Hood Cross-City Tournament winners for the Major Division from East Garfield also won a victory for their neighborhood, for the spirit of teamwork, and for safe streets.
Stay up to date with the the latest news and events related to LISC Chicago.
Find us on Facebook »