Sometimes a small investment in a particular place, such as a new mural, plaza or community garden, can be a powerful catalyst for positive change in a neighborhood. LISC has provided numerous small grants and loans to help neighborhood partners make targeted improvements that add beauty, attract pedestrian traffic or improve safety.
For more information about LISC's placemaking initiatives, contact Keri Blackwell or Jake Ament.
1–25 of 48 items | Next »
23rd Annual Chicago Neighborhood Development Awards Honor Top Community Projects
- Feb 28, 2017
- More than 1,500 people gather to acknowledge excellence in architecture, community organizing, real estate development and other efforts to strengthen neighborhoods.
A Neighborhood of All Stars
- Feb 16, 2017
- Founded by LISC Chicago, Hoops in the Hood gives hundreds of Chicago students an opportunity to play basketball, compete in tournaments and show their team spirit.
Large Lots in Englewood – Vision and Hard Work Create New Community Assets
- Annie Grossinger, Dec 21, 2016
- This photo essay takes you through the beginning of Sammiria Malcone, Linda Maalik and Delece Williams’ journey to beautify vacant lots in their Englewood neighborhood.
Ten Years of Hoops in the Hood: An Oral History
- Carl Vogel, Jul 22, 2016
- Hoops in the Hood - Participants sound off about the impact of a decade of neighborhood basketball and organizing.
Leading Locally: Chicago Plans Graduates 20th Neighborhood Team
- Paolo Cisneros, Jun 24, 2016
- Over the course’s two series, Chicago Plans has now graduated 60 total participants from 20 different communities.
From Planning to Action on the Northwest Side
- Carl Vogel, May 19, 2016
- Belmont Cragin celebrates the completion of its quality-of-life plan, which is already having an impact in the community, and planning continues in Auburn Gresham, Englewood and Chicago Lawn.
Chicago Plans 2016
- Paolo Cisneros, May 11, 2016
- A new group of community organization members is learning the ropes of planning through the Chicago Plans workshops.
Batter Up! Better Fields = Better Ball
- Gordon Walek, May 6, 2016
- The Cubs Charities Diamond Project is improving community baseball fields throughout the city. And making plenty of kids happy.
Affordable Divvy For Everyone Enters Second Year
- Annie Grossinger, Apr 7, 2016
- Subsidized bike share program continues through five Financial Opportunity Centers.
CNDA Forum: Strategies That Work, Policies That Don’t
- John McCarron, Feb 23, 2016
- The Forum at the 22nd annual Chicago Neighborhood Development Awards ceremony addressed different perspectives about how to develop underserved neighborhoods.
Big Scale of CNDA Winners Says Much about Local Development Capacity
- John McCarron, Feb 18, 2016
- An unusual group of large-scale projects filled the winner’s circle at this year’s CNDA ceremony, new evidence of what’s possible when resources link up with local ideas and energy.
How to Make Neighborhoods Better and Stronger? Attend CNDA and Find Out
- Feb 8, 2016
- The 22nd Annual Chicago Neighborhood Development Awards ceremony is Thursday, February 18, at the Chicago Hilton.
A New Stage for Belmont Cragin…and, Quality-of-Life Planning in Auburn Gresham, Chicago Lawn and Englewood
- Carl Vogel, Jan 20, 2016
- The high-energy planning meeting in the Northwest Side neighborhood gathered final details from residents and gave other local LISC partners new ideas for their own quality-of-life planning process.
Dream of Fields? LISC Helps It Come True at Kelly Park
- John McCarron, Dec 4, 2015
- Brighton Park residents celebrate new football field at Kelly Park.
Launched: Chicago Plans Workshops
- Paolo Cisneros, Nov 30, 2015
- Chicago Plans provides participants with the theory and skills necessary to convene community-planning processes rooted in inclusivity and meaningful engagement.
Hit the Trail? Neighbors Aim to Stay Near 'The 606'
- John McCarron, Oct 22, 2015
- Everybody loves The 606. But conversion of the old rail track into a popular walking/cycling path is having unintended consequences for some long-time residents.
Opening Day: Cubs/LISC Help Ripken Foundation Create 'Freedom Field' in Marquette Park
- John McCarron, Oct 12, 2015
- A new playing field opens in Marquette Park. Cal Ripken Jr., Cubs, and neighborhood organizations lead celebration.
Slow Roll Highlights Biking, Neighborhoods
- Patrick Barry, Sep 14, 2015
- Slow Roll Chicago organizes weekly bicycle rides in underserved Chicago communities to promote cycling, fitness and neighborhood pride. Recent rides were in Englewood and Little Village.
Telling Hard Truths
- Carl Vogel, Aug 17, 2015
- A far-ranging and frank conversation about issues of race, class and gender at the LISC community organizing and engagement workshop series.
21st CNDA Youth Panelists Blaze New Trails, 22nd CNDA Gears Up for Next Forum, Award Winners
- John McCarron, Aug 13, 2015
- The 22nd annual Chicago Neighborhood Development Awards ceremony is on February 18, 2016, at the Chicago Hilton & Towers. Applications for the awards are due on September 10, 2015.
When Big Plans Have Big Impact
- John McCarron, May 26, 2015
- As the private sector soars and the public sector shrinks, flexibility and nimbleness rule the day for neighborhood developers.
Old Pullman Wins at CNDA … As Do Young Leaders
- John McCarron, Feb 17, 2015
- From a fast-unfolding plan to redevelop the historic Pullman District to the rehab of a run-down SRO hotel on the North, the 2015 Chicago Neighborhood Development Awards had the city covered.
Listen Up! Youth Speaks at CNDA on Feb. 17
- John McCarron, Jan 20, 2015
- The 21st Annual Chicago Neighborhoods Award Ceremony is February 17, 2015 at the Chicago Hilton & Towers, 720 S. Michigan Ave.
Community Organizing: Step One for Neighborhood Change
- Gordon Walek, Nov 19, 2014
- A series of workshops gives LISC’s neighborhood partners an opportunity to share what they’ve learned about building community engagement, power and voice.
Can Big Plans Connect to Neighborhoods?
- John McCarron, Nov 6, 2014
- A LISC panel explored how big projects like the Lucas Museum and Obama Library can have an impact far beyond downtown.
1–25 of 48 items | Next »
Stay up to date with the the latest news and events related to LISC Chicago.
Find us on Facebook »